Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Looking forward - and back...

Hi!

Tonight, I didn't make supper! My husband made the meal that I'd planned to make so, by the time I got home, I was able to enjoy some downtime! It was nice to have a hot bath and to create a small gift for each of my daughter's teachers. As she is in French Immersion, she has an "English" teacher and a "French" teacher who teach her everyday - English before lunch and French afterwards. I made a simple set of note cards - three each - for each of the ladies and included a handmade Christmas card thanking each one for their care and attention to my daughter.

Now that I am driving myself to work and back, I have time to think. Not that I didn't have it when I was taking the commuter bus, but this is different! When I was taking the bus, my commute time was usually spent sleeping - try taking the bus at 6 am every morning when you are tired and see what happens! Now that I'm driving, I'm sure that the other drivers are quite thankful that I'm not asleep at the wheel and singing in the car, especially when you are still coughing your brains out, isn't the best use of my time so yesterday, I did some thinking.

After Christmas, early in the New Year, my husband will start working 3 p.m. until 11 p.m. five days a week. This is one of the reasons that I'm driving myself to work and back - so that I can get used to my new schedule. I will be solely responsible for making sure that my daughter gets home from school safely, does her homework and enjoys being a little kid - with a bubble bath, a bit of tv and then a bedtime story. I want to make sure that she, and by extension, my husband and I enjoy the new challenges brought on by Jamie working outside our home. While Fiona's wellbeing is the most important, I need to be mindful of my own needs and wellbeing so, during my drive this morning, I came up with some goals for myself for 2010: exercise - getting back in top shape and slimming down in advance of my upcoming, not to say looming, high school reunion; making sure that Fiona continues to be happy and healthy; making sure that the little time I'll have with my husband during the week is spent well and that our house trully becomes our showcase.

I also spent some time looking back at 2009 - I'll be sharing my highlights and lowlights of 2009 over the next few days.

Tonight, I've got "easy chicken cordon bleu" planned on the menu but I also have a beautiful roast calling our name in the fridge - the outcome of no family coming for my husband's birthday supper last Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment